As a mental health services consumer (mental patient), the hospital and investigating agencies already presume you are unreliable, while the staff and records are presumed reliable, compassionate, truthful, and accurate. This is not necessarily true, you are reliable, and they may be lying to cover their incompetent mistakes. BUT.. since they write the medical record which is a legal document that can be used against you later, it is important that you gather evidence to counter their allegations. You need an effective strategy to present your case in an objective fashion. You need to get past your word vs theirs. Then when you show them the evidence in their own charts, they will either deny it exists, claim it means something else, or claim it was a simple mistake by the person who wrote it. Think of a child with his hand caught in a cookie jar innocently asking “What jar?”. Don’t let them rattle you into believing their lie that white is black and black is white.
A suggestion. Should anyone suggest a personÂ sufferingÂ fromÂ psychologicalÂ disorder to go to a mental hospital or other behavioral health institution for a rest, consider them dangerous. Keep up some small talk and appear to take their suggestion seriously. Slowly back away while facing them (as you would a rabid dog). When you get around a corner run don’t walk. Most mental institutions are about force, control, medication, and locked doors. Not rest. Sexual assault for females is a real possibility. Going to a mental institution for a *rest* is insane. If you need a rest, go to a Holiday Inn.
None of these suggestions are “magic bullets” to protect your rights, but they can be the basis of your plan for protection. They enable you to take some measure of control of the situation. Again the key is documentation.
1. Have an ally. This is a trusted friend or family member who is willing to advocate for you. Give written permission for your ally to view your medical records and discuss your case with the hospital. Don’t let health record confidentiality be a barrier. The ally should record the time and content of any interaction with the hospital and staff.
2. Write it down ASAP. If you can keep a journal in the hospital do so. If not, then your first task out of the hospital is to write down what happened with as much detail as possible. With each passing day, memories will fade. As best you can, document exactly what happened, when it happened, who said what, who was there, etc as soon as possible. If your ally visits on a regular basis, give them information dumps on what occurred since their last visit so that they can keep a log for you outside the hospital. If something significant happens, call your ally now. Tell them in detail what happened. Show them during the next visit.
3. Get corroboration. Have your ally present as much as possible. Tell them at every opportunity what has occurred. Get them to keep a contemporaneous journal that distinguishes what you tell them from what they personally observe. Given involuntary injections? Show your ally the puncture marks, tell them exactly what happened. What you did and said. Who was present, staff and patients. What the hospital staff did and said. Have the ally present with medical consults if possible. Have them ask the doctor about your diagnosis, treatment plan, medications, side effects, probable outcome, etc. They should document this information as it is obtained. If there is an rights violation incident, have them ask the hospital to explain what happened. They may get a different story than that written on your charts. This can be used to impeach the charts. The key is details. You have to be as detailed as possible. Details, Details, Details.
4. Get your medical record. When you are released, request a copy of your entire medical record on your way out. You will probably have pay for the copying fee. If you have a trusted doctor or lawyer, have a copy sent to them as well. The hospital may try and withhold part of the record, if so contest it. You want the whole thing. If the doctor has a separate record, get a copy of that as well. If they won’t release the whole record, force them to explain in writing why. Suggest it is needed for legal action. This may make them reconsider since if they with hold information it might look bad.
5. Get your detailed billing records from the hospital and the doctor. These will show every appointment you had with the doctor and every medication the hospital gave you. You will cross reference these with the medical records.
6. Consider a physical exam. If there is any physical evidence, bruises, abrasions, needle punctures, etc; get it documented by another doctor after you leave the hospital.
7. Continue to document everything. Record phone calls, meetings, and letters to advocates, lawyers, police, the hospital, doctors, etc. Send important correspondence by registered mail with return receipt requested. In meetings, try to have your ally present. Continue to document details.
8. Consider an Advanced Healthcare Directive. Specify how you want to be treated under specific conditions. In case you are incapacitated or declared incompetent, specify whom you want to direct your health care.
9. Police The police are generally not trained to deal with mental health issues. They fall back on their standard procedures of:
a. Take control:. They will dictate what you may or may not do. They will not compromise or negotiate. Once the police arrive, they will take control. Anyone who fails to fall in line is subject to physical restraint and or arrest.
b. Force: They have handcuffs, batons, guns, pepper spray,and attack dogs and will use whatever force THEY feel is necessary. They also have legal immunity to do just about anything theyÂ want. Should you try and argue, well see (a) above.
c. 5150: In California the only response the police will provide is to place you on a 5150 and transport you to the destination they choose. If you don’t want to go there, too bad.
d. Deadly Force: Police involvement in mental disturbances frequently results in the mental patient being shot to death. The San Francisco Bay Area has had several cases of people shot by the police. Know this before you call them.
An seo agency, to stay ahead of other competing online marketing companies, must be able to wield plenty of instruments that can make their clients like me delighted. Here are the most well-known techniques I am cognizant of:
1. Search engine optimization – Also known as SEO, it is a technique that covers many other techniques. Suppose I have a website, and I want to raise it up the search engine ratings so that other users will find it first. That can be done through backlinks (links of my webpage in other websites) or by placing keywords in articles that my website has.
2. Article marketing â€“ For me, nothing beats information presented concisely in an article. But for me articles are a bit daunting to write, so Iâ€™d rather outsource them to external companies. Articles are important in imparting to others how my business can help customers. It can also give updates to others regarding my business. Product reviews and press releases come under the wing of article marketing.
3. Video marketing – Not everyone can make videos, so if I want one for my website, Iâ€™ll find someone who can make them. Video marketing appeals to customers who may be used to seeing TV and YouTube and feel delighted whenever they see something on video â€“ that includes advertisements.
Internet marketing companies know more tricks and tricks, and here are the three main ones. Sometimes I feel that I need to assert my more on the Internet. With that, Iâ€™m most probably going to outsource my promotional duties to an external company and let them make my ventures known to the world.
If you think you might be in the market for a new flat iron anytime soon, you have got to see if there is a Corioliss Flat Iron for you. Chances are there is. Most companies just make a few models for a limited number of types of hair, but Corioliss is one company that gave me the selection I wanted before making my choice. Maybe you will find the same thing is true for you.
Like many of us, I have curly hair that I sometimes like to wear straight. But having to make an appointment with my hairstylist to have straight hair always involved way more hours than I wanted to devote to it. So, unless there was a very special event or reason for going to see him, I just wouldn’t.
Finally, I took his advice. He has been telling me for two years to get myself a flat iron and learn to straighten my hair myself. I know that sounds nuts. I mean, why would he not want to get paid to do it for me. The truth is, he cares about his customers, and so he explained to me that unless I need a really special job done, it’s easier for me to straighten my hair at home. He said that with the right Corioliss model, which he happens to sell by the way, I could do my own hair in about 15 minutes or less. The man knows good customer service. What can I say?
So I took his advice and started my search for the right Corioliss flat iron for me. Fortunately, my search began and ended in the his chair. That was quick.
Sid, that’s his name, knows my hair, so he knew just which model to sell me, and taught me a little bit about using it.
For me, he said the Corioliss Pro would be the right size for my hair. He also told me that the embedded tourmaline creates negative ions which makes my hair healthier and shinier.
There are at least 5 other models in different sizes and colors, but he said this one was the best for my hair.
Sid also told me to start out at lower temperatures and work my way up through the adjustable heat settings until I found the one that was best for my hair. He gave me an idea of where to start, but he said each iron was a little bit different, and that it would, be safer for my hair to start this way.
My Corioliss Pro is adjustable from 140 degrees all the way up to 410 degrees. I found that 390 degrees worked best for my hair. Sid said it would be around 400, and he was right.
It heats up fast too. In less than 6 seconds it’s ready to start straightening my hair. I don’t even have time to get a cup of instant coffee, it’s so fast.
I love that now I can have straight hair in less than 15 minutes whenever I want. Of course that doesn’t include the prep time of shampooing and conditioning. But I can do that the night before. I feel so free now. And it makes my hair look so good.
If you want to take control of your hair and time too, then pick out your own Corioliss flat iron, and come be free with me. I can tell that this is definitely top 10 best flat irons for 2012.
My wife and I have been married for a while now. Â We’re constantly looking for things to do together, although that list is seemingly getting shorter and shorter every year because we’re doing more with our friends and our kids.
I don’t like shopping.
She doesn’t like sports.
I hate romantic comedies.
She hates action movies.
One thing we have started to do together though is to attend a local wine of the month club. Â We both like the fact that we get to meet new people and to learn more about wine, it makes us (well me especially) feel cultured and refined. Â Given that we live pretty close to San Francisco, the wine is really great and it gives us a set night out of the house and perhaps more importantly, away from the kids!
I’ve talked before in this blog about how the e cigarette is a product which has the potential to help you get off tobacco products, and that making the switch could be beneficial to your health. Since there are so many different brands on the market these days I thought I could be helpful if I ran through some of the top products to give you an idea of which are worth buying.
As I said previously E-Lites was the brand I discovered first, and it’s one which I still rate very highly, but there are others out there which have their advantages. Let’s take a look at two other e cigarettes which I think are worth considering when you want to get into vaping.
1. Green Smoke – The Green Smoke cigarette is a product which is familiar to anyone who has done the slightest amount of research on the Internet thanks to this company’s aggressive marketing techniques. Thankfully they are not only well known, but they also make a product that lives up to the hype. Green Smokes are undoubtedly made to a very high standard which sets them apart from most other manufacturers out there. Their electronic cigarettes taste great, produce amazing vapor, and last for an age before you need to replace them.
The only downside to Green Smoke products is that they are far from the cheapest on the market. You will still save a tonne of cash compared to using tobacco but if you are on a tight budget then you might want to look elsewhere.
2. Safe Cig – Safe Cigs are in many ways even better then Green Smoke but they have a couple of points which push them down into the number two spot.
The positives about this brand are the flavor of the carts (the best in the industry) and the size of their Micro e cig (about as close to the size of a real cigarette as it’s possible to get). They also charge very little cash for their starter kits which means you can get started for about $60.
The downside to the Safe Cig is that it doesn’t produce as much vapor as the Green Smoke so it’s not quite as satisfying to use.
Whether you opt to purchase the E-Lites brand I have talked about before or go for one of those reviewed here, you can be sure these three products are some of the finest available on the market today. Select one of these instead of the many inferior products for sale on the Internet and you ensure you have the best possible chance of making the switch to electronic cigarettes over the long term.
After smoking for over 10 years it was always going to be a difficult thing for me to kick the habit in to touch. I did actually try (and fail) on many occasions over the years trying methods that included hypnotherapy, nicotine patches and even cold turkey (i definitely don’t recommend this!).
When electronic cigarettes first became available I was very skeptical passing them off as another gimmick, so much so that I completely ignored them for a couple of years! WOW what a wasted couple of years I have since learned that was!
I first decided to try a brand called E-Lites after reading this review of the E-Lites e cigarette. I definitely struck it lucky first time around as they are a very good brand, I did however decide to try another brand just after this and they were pretty poor. If I had tried these first I probably would have given up trying e cigarettes there and then!
The good thing is that I am well on my way to giving up completely and only use an ecig once or twice a day at most. If you are on the fence don’t hesitate to try them out, like me it could save your life!
An amortization calculator is simply a formula which is used to work out the sum due in repayments each month as part of the schedule of repaying a loan or mortgage. The ‘calculator’ itself amounts to little more than a simple mathematical formula, but the concepts behind the raw calculation can be a little trickier to understand.
Amortization, in its simplest terms, is the process of reducing a loan, or sometimes the value of an asset, by an amount paid at regular intervals. The term itself shares a root with the French word for death, mirroring the fact that the loan is ‘killed off’ slowly.
The total amount of every installment of the repayment schedule is the same. However, a schedule will often apply more interest to the regular amount at the beginning of the schedule, and less of the actual amount to be repaid, commonly referred to as the principle.
Despite these variations, the amount of each repayment still remains the same throughout, spreading the burden of the loan over a pre-agreed period of time. This has become a pretty standard way of conducting loan arrangements throughout the capitalist world.
An amortization calculator is a useful device to use before purchasing a loan of any kind, as it usually allows the prospective borrower to see which loans they can actually afford, or to see how a loan can fit into a budget and possible schedule. It can reveal the exact amount of money will be paid in interest and repayment of the principle for each payment, allowing the specifics of a credit agreement to be tweaked until it fits to the customer’s needs and ability to pay.
The actual mathematical formula such a calculator uses is based around the principle being multiplied by a complex calculation of the interest rate, which in turn is being multiplied by itself plus one, to the power of the number of repayments, then divided by the rate plus one to the power of the number of payments minus one. It is much easier to follow the calculation when presented mathematically, but easier still to use a computer programme.
Most of this kind of calculation tool work alongside a programme such as Excel, which allows the repayment formula to be built into complex spreadsheet calculations. Other computer programmes can, of course, be used, but it is advisable to use some form of technology rather than raw calculation in order to ensure that the amounts are correct.
As well as for long-term loans such as mortgages, which can be quite complex, the calculation tool can also be used to help assess more short-term and simpler credit arrangements, such as student loans or finance for a vehicle. The formula is essentially a universal one, though there may be slight variations according to different countries.
An amortization calculator can be a valuable tool for any household considering making new credit arrangements. It is also wise to seek proper, professional advice in order to make a proper judgment and efficient assessment.
Hypertension or high blood pressure is known as the silent killer. Hypertension is defined as a systolic reading above 140 or a diastolic reading above 90 (use a blood pressure chart). Many people who have numbers above these ranges have been able to lower them significantly with lifestyle changes. In many cases they are able to avoid taking medication for the condition. The following six lifestyle changes can help anyone battling hypertension.
Losing as little as ten pounds can reduce the readings at the doctor’s office. In general, the more weight a person loses the lower the readings will be. If you must take medication, losing weight also makes them more effective at reaching your goals.
Thirty minutes to an hour of exercise on most days of one’s week can help to lower pressures by 4-9 mm HG. This change can often be seen within a few weeks. Persons that are diagnosed with prehypertension can use exercise to keep the pressures down to a safer level and often prevent full-blown hypertension from developing.
Diets that are rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains and low fat dairy products can make a big difference in those pressures. People that follow the DASH diet can lower the numbers by as much as 14 mm HG. When following a healthy eating plan, patients should realize an occasional treat is allowable and when used in moderation can help to lower the numbers as well as the stress of a diet.
By lowering the amount of sodium, primarily through eliminating table salt, it is possible to lower the readings by another 2 to 8 mm Hg. Everyone should limit sodium to 2300 mg or less daily. Anyone over age 51 as well as those of African American descent and those with hypertension or chronic kidney disease need to lower their consumption to less than 1500 mg daily. Reaching these goals is easier if the person cuts back gradually.
Alcohol can have both positive and negative benefits on one’s health. Small amounts may actually lower hypertension, but those who consume too much alcohol can make the condition worse. The recommended amount is one drink for women and a maximum of two for men daily. In addition, it is not recommended that those who do not currently drink start to lower hypertension as alcohol offers more potential for harm than for good.
When fighting hypertension, it is important to avoid tobacco products of all types. In addition, avoid secondhand smoke. Nicotine in tobacco products can raise the pressures by up to 10 mm HG. Once elevated by nicotine, the pressures may remain elevated for four hours after smoking. Just six cigarettes daily will keep the pressure high for the entire day. Even second hand smoke can negatively affect your attempts to lower hypertension.
Hypertension is a deadly disease. It may lead to heart attack or stroke. While lifestyle changes may lower hypertension, it is important that patients never stop taking medication for hypertension without first speaking with their doctor. Even if a doctor wants the patient to continue taking blood pressure medication for the condition, the lifestyle changes made will result in significant improvements in the health.
Losing weight is not so easy to do as it seems to be. Determination is the key, and this entails the willingness to stick with whatever regimen you might be doing in order to truly lose weight. I have listed the following weight loss tips that I found very effective in losing those extra pounds quickly.
My first tip for weight loss is to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. I eat at least five servings of fruits and vegetables each day. These fruits and vegetables are packed with good fibers, and vitamins. More importantly, these will fill up your stomach fast so you eat less and feel full earlier. Next on my list of weight loss tips is to watch for portion sizes. For example, a pasta serving is equal to about a half cup of cooked pasta. However, most restaurants serve a pasta dish equal to two or three servings! You do not have to finish off the dish every time.
Another of my weight loss tips is to eat smaller meals equally distributed throughout the day. I have found out that eating four to five small meals is better than eating three big meals each day. Â The next tip involves liquids. I have been equally conscious of what I drink as well as, as I have monitored, what I eat. Juice, soft drinks, soda, and even cream, sugar and milk with your coffee, and tea add up. I go for drinking up to eight glasses of water a day. Not only does this help me rehydrate, all those glasses of water also help make me feel full.
The last of my weight loss tips should not come as a big surprise. In addition to keeping tabs on what you eat, it is equally important to take time to exercise. 30-60 minutes of exercise each day is enough to stay healthy. I add a couple of fat burning exercises twice a week to help shed extra weight.
I have found out that though there are many weight loss tips out there, all these will not help you one bit if you do not start being responsible for your own weight. Stop wishing those extra pounds away, and start doing something, anything to all that excess weight.
Believe it or not, I have decided to purchase a new freezerless refrigerator.Â I have been struggling to cope with the little top mounted fridge I have in my kitchen for years now.Â I always thought to myself that I could continue to make do, and that it wasnâ€™t worth spending the money to buy a new kitchen appliance, but today I finally snapped.
My friend Jean bought over some great leftovers from her Christmas feast for me.Â She always cooks enough to feed an army, which means people like me â€“ who donâ€™t put in quite so much effort â€“ can rely on her handing out the excess from any celebration!
Unfortunately my overly small fridge is already full.Â It has a combination of my regular groceries and a huge cake my coworker made for me last week.Â Now I had to really squeeze to get this extra food in!Â It is great stuff â€“ ham, stuffing, the works â€“ so I didnâ€™t want to waste it.
Thankfully I pulled it off, but I had to be careful for the next couple of days opening the refrigerator to make sure nothing fell outJ
My new yearâ€™s resolution is to pick up an additional freezerless refrigerator.Â I think I will probably put in my home office, as my kitchen doesnâ€™t have much spare space.Â While the official purpose for this new refrigerator without freezer will be to store donations of food, it will also come in handy to keep drinks cold!Â Quite a nice little fringe benefit really.
Picking the brand and model will be on my to-do list, to be done as soon as I fully recover from the upcoming New Yearâ€™s Eve party.Â Thankfully that will not be held at my house â€“ I still donâ€™t have sufficient beer cooling capacity to entertain a crowd.